Castle de StrYke
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Castle de StrYke

Ancient and honourable home of the De Stryke House

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Latest imagesLatest images  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Caitilin*
Head of House
Head of House
Caitilin*

A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? Empty
PostSubject: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeTue Mar 08, 2011 7:05 pm

Caitilin sat at the over sized table in the castle kitchen wiping the tears from her eyes as she poured over the replies regarding her inquiries for her new mount. Since Dancer's demise in London at the Royal Guard inspection, she had written the best breeders of horse flesh all over England, Scotland and Ireland. Cait had avoided the family stables since her return home. The empty stall was too much for her.

The head of the House de Stryke put the goblet to her lips and when she removed it she shivered and made a face. It was the usual face Cait made when drank whiskey. Cookie pounded on the dough that would be that evening's bread. As she turned it flour filled the air. She clucked her tongue and shook her head at Caitilin. Ey. m'Lady you've gone through a bottle a Master Hagman's best in a day. You really should rest ya know. The Master, Lord Baldar, will be none to pleased...he come home to find his wife drunk. Ein Marie was look'n fo ya.

She took another sip and repeated the face. Aye and who is the head of this house, Cookie? Is it Marie or is it me, Caitilin de Stryke? Last I looked at the registry it was my name there not my maid's. Cait dried her eyes and Looked at the cook with sadness. I'm sorry I didn't mean to snap. It's just so hard. She shuffled through a few more of the papers she had in front of her, brushing the fine wheat flour from them.

Last edited by Caitilin* on Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 9:29 am

Entering the kitchen area of the castle, with Ghostwriter and her daughter, young Seamus is about to enquire after a small snack for them when he sees his cousin sitting at table with a well known, and very empty, bottle of whiskey. A single brow arching nearly into his hairline, the young man looks askance at Cook. Seeing an emphatic nod in response, his other brow climbs to join its twin. He says to Caitilin, Cousin? Wha' cause be therre tae drain sae much of that single malt? Hae sommat gone amiss?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 09, 2011 12:57 pm

Entering the kitchen with Seamus and carrying Ora, Ghost saw Cait, seeing her tears and the empty bottle in front of her. She saw that something was wrong, her Knight's upset clear and glanced at Seamus, seeing the exchange between him and the cook. Hanging back Ghost waited quietly. She heard Seamus' questions to his cousin and waited, wondering if she should leave them to talk alone, thinking she and Ora could find something to occupy themselves with.

Seamus, I'll take little one to play, Ghost said quietly to Seamus, turning to leave the way they had come.
Back to top Go down
Caitilin*
Head of House
Head of House
Caitilin*

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 6:24 am

At the appearance of her good cousin, his lady and her daughter, Cait cleared her throat and rose to greet them. She caught herself on the table after a small misstep. Her right leg not yet healed from the injury she took in London.

Seamus and Ghost what a delightful surprise. Cait smiled trying to hide her feelings. and Ora... She has grown. Cait turned to the cook who was busying herself with the rising dough. Cookie, could you get Ora some of those honey rolls you made? And bring another bottle of the single malt...for Seamus please.

Seamus wrote:
Cousin? Wha' cause be therre tae drain sae much of that single malt? Hae sommat gone amiss?

Cait waved a hand at her cousins question. She opened the bottle that Cookie had brought and pour two fresh glasses and handed them to Ghost and Seamus. Refilling her own, she spoke. You know that my mare was killed trying to defend the king from the attack by Wolfmist. I've been missing her and pouring over responses from several breeders to find a new mount. She sipped from her cup. Now tell me what brings you here for this wonderful visit home?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeThu Mar 10, 2011 6:56 am

Ghost stopped in her tracks, turning to smile at Cait as she greeted them. She saw Cait take a misstep and then glanced at the empty bottle on the table in front of her before glancing at Seamus questioningly.

How are you Cait? she asked smiling, looking at Ora in her arms who responded to Cait mentioning her name with a shy smile. You want something to eat little one? Ghost asked her daughter pointing her attention to the Cook who was getting honey rolls out.

Ghost moved forward to the table and set Ora down onto the floor when the Cook gave her a honey roll, keeping an eye on her. She took the glass offered, taking a sip only. She listened as Cait explained how her horse had been killed in London. It was clear Cait was upset about her loss. Hearing Cait's question of why their visit Ghost looked to Seamus wondering if she needed to leave the kitchen, hoping Seamus would tell her to if so.

Back to top Go down
baldar
Administrator
Administrator
baldar

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 7:02 am

Baldar entered the castle looking for his wife, asking one of the servents, he was told that she was in the kitchen, when he arrived he found Seamus, Ghost, and his wife standing looking a little tippsy.

Normally he would have flashed out but knowing why, he grinned and walked to his wife, he holds her and kisses her,
been drinking have we madam, hmmm, can I have a glass as well??
Seamus, Ghost hope all is well he sips the spirit in one and looking at his wife,

My love come with me I need help with something, Seamus , Ghost can you come as well.

he leads Cait out of the kitchen hobbling slowly, before they reach the door, there is someone to see you, its a surprise, co close your eyes, baldar puts his hands over Cait's eyes and leads her to the door.
now open your eyes

A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? Arabianstallionpicture

For you my love

Back to top Go down
Caitilin*
Head of House
Head of House
Caitilin*

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 11, 2011 8:39 pm

She turned to Ghost and hugged her tightly, giving Ora a little tickle.I'll be fine, thank you.

Baldar wrote:
Baldar entered the castle looking for his wife, asking one of the servents, he was told that she was in the kitchen, when he arrived he found Seamus, Ghost, and his wife standing looking a little tippsy.

Normally he would have flashed out but knowing why, he grinned and walked to his wife, he holds her and kisses her, been drinking have we madam, hmmm, can I have a glass as well??

She heard his familiar footsteps before her husband entered the kitchen. Cait's face brightened at the sight of him. She slipped her arm around him and returned his kiss. Blushing she glanced at the glass of whiskey in her hand. Aye, I have and maybe a wee too much. She nodded to Cookie as he greeted the others and a moment later their was a full glass in Baldar's hand.

Baldar wrote:
My love come with me I need help with something, Seamus , Ghost can you come as well.

he leads Cait out of the kitchen hobbling slowly, before they reach the door, there is someone to see you, its a surprise, co close your eyes, baldar puts his hands over Cait's eyes and leads her to the door.

A guest? Dear Jah, I am in no presentable state to receive guests. Caitilin smoothed back a few loose curls and brushed a bit of flour from her skirts. She closed her eyes and let Baldar led. His hands felt soothing on her eyes. She leaned against him for his strength. At the door they stopped.

Baldar wrote:
now open your eyes...For you my love

She blinked and tears slipped down her cheek. The stallion greeted her with a whinny. My Beloved, he is magnificent. She turn to Baldar and kissed him deeply. Stepping forward slowly, she reached out to stroke his muzzle with her fingertips and he shook his silvery mane. Cait turned to Baldar and grinned. I shall called him Argento. When I am able we will start to train together. Thank you Baldar, ti amo amore mio. How can I thank you? She gave her husband as mischievous smile and hugged him. Gerald appeared from the stable and smiled at Baldar. It seemed he approved of her husband's gift. With a salute to the master of the castle he led Argento off to his new home.

Cait linked her arm in Baldar's and started back into the kitchen. Come, we have guests. Cookie is making a wonderful dinner we will celebrate. She whispered in Baldar's ear. I do believe that Seamus has something to discuss. She smiled softly and nodded discreetly toward her squires.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeSat Mar 12, 2011 2:51 pm

Ghost had turned on hearing someone enter the kitchen and saw Baldar. She smiled as she saw Cait's pleased look and when Baldar greeted his wife Ghost had shyly looked down to where Ora was slowly eating the honey bun and making a mess on the floor. Glancing at Cookie Ghost smiled as she saw the woman ready to provide more, knowing the woman loved to spoil young ones.

We're well, thankyou,
Ghost said quietly to Baldar's enquiry, smiling at him pleasantly. Ghost looked at Seamus and smiled at him as Baldar asked Cait to go with him, and for herself and Seamus to follow. Nodding at Seamus, Ghost bent down for Ora, stopping and turning to Cookie who was already shooing them away and laughing Ghost slipped her arm through Seamus' to drag him away before he could object. To what she was not sure, the leaving food and drink behind or the little one.

At the door where Baldar had led Cait, Ghost smiled as she saw the most beautiful horse, and looking up at Seamus she dropped her arm from his blushing slightly. Ghost stood quietly listening and watched as the horse was led away. The mention of dinner made Ghost's stomach rumble and she followed Cait and Baldar, with Seamus, back to the kitchen wondering when Seamus would speak to Cait.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 4:17 am

Having seen, and heartily approved of, Caitilin's new mount, Seamus follows the group back into the kitchens. Deciding the present was as good a time as any to broach his news, the young Scotsman clears his throat nervously, and begins. Your Grace, my Knight mentor, cousin. I need thy consent in several matters that have arisen. Will yersel' an' yer husband, the prince, hear me?
Back to top Go down
Caitilin*
Head of House
Head of House
Caitilin*

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 11:03 am

Cait settled on a chair, stretching her injured leg. She smirked at her cousin when he addressed as "Your Grace", a title she neither warranted nor wanted but was a joke between them. Baldar was, in fact and by right of succession and in his nobility, a prince. At Seamus' request, Cookie made excuse to be absent from the kitchen and left them to their privacy. She placed the bottle of single malt far from Cait's reach but close to Seamus and Baldar and departed. Caitilin pushed her glass away thinking, what a fine headache it would bring on later.

She had an idea of what Seamus wanted to discuss and smiled at Ghost. She remembered the hell her brother, Hagman, had put herself and Baldar through. Would she take his example? Cait smiled at her cousin as she spoke. My Lord Corby, I am well disposed to discuss anything your heart desires. She made an attempt to rise and winced from the pain. Perhaps you would prefer we retire to the family council room for a more formal arena or we can talk here? She reached out for Baldar's hand to have him sit beside her.

Back to top Go down
baldar
Administrator
Administrator
baldar

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 4:14 pm

Baldar raised him self and sat next to his beloved wife and sat watching his cousin, he grinned watchung Seamus a bit unconfertable, this could be interesting he thought, and waited for his dearcousin to speak.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 4:22 pm

Ghost looked at Seamus as she wondered how he would start, standing quietly to the side, knowing he wanted her to be there. Ghost looked down at where Ora still sat and smiled as she saw her daughter's face, food around her mouth. Yet today Ghost did not fuss. Now was not the time she told herself as she waited, avoiding looking at Cait knowing she would blush.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 7:26 pm

Seamus squares his shoulders, stands at his full height, and simply begins. As yersel' already obviously know, Prince Chris hae prevailed upon the College of Heraldry, tae see the fiefdom of Corby, which lie in Northamptonshire, in th' wilds north of London, added tae my name. I am in process, as we speak, of havin' me ain coat of arms adjusted tae show this. I request yer permission tae display the arms issued, once they become available, an' tae carry them blazoned upon me shield before all, as is proper. Looking aside at Ghost, young Seamus smiles a little, and takes a long swallow from his flask before going on. Yer may nae know, but me studded leather armor hae finally failed me. Ghost can verify this, for the lass werre present when it happened. My second request is for yer consent tae begin wearin' steel, should I be able tae find any in the family armoury. Methinks thy late brother hae a set o' half-plate-and-chain laid by somewheres, but I cannae recall. Tha' would do well, for, as I recall, therre werre nae any arms graven upon it that I wouldna be entitiled to.

Seamus allows a long moment before speaking again, in order to wet his mouth, and let others absorb his words. Finally, he looks squarely at Caitilin, and speaks in a firm voice, Dame Caitilin, thy squire, the Lady Ghostwriter, as yersel' well know, hae taken oop residence at Rood Keep. A fine braw lass is she, an' weel fit tae be keepin' a House o' her ain. She is become as a partner tae me, in me affairs, an' hae taken oop th' functions which would normally be the purview o' me bride, if I had one. Havin' developed a fine likin' tae th' Lady, yer squire, I ask yer consent tae pay her court formally, wie intent tae be handfasted at such time as she, an' yersel' might consent.

Having spoken, young Seamus quietly extends his hand to Ghost, and murmurs to her asking her to stay at his side.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 7:54 pm

Ghost listened quietly as Seamus spoke, a smile playing on her lips, her eyes not leaving his face, watching every movement as he spoke. Still avoiding looking at Cait Ghost stayed quiet as Seamus went from the the display of arms, to the armour and when he paused Ghost glanced briefly at Cait.

As Seamus spoke again Ghost heard the firmness in his voice. She blushed slightly as she listened, hoping Cait would not object. At the mention of handfast she smiled at Seamus, and as he extended his hand to her Ghost took his hand quietly and stepped to stand by his side, smiling that she would stay.
Back to top Go down
Caitilin*
Head of House
Head of House
Caitilin*

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeSun Mar 13, 2011 9:18 pm

Cait saw the proud young chieftain of the Rood Clan stand tall and strong before her, a vision of his ancestors. As he spoke pride welled up in her that she could almost not contain. It was a struggle for her to keep a stoic expression. Cait's hand tightened on Baldar's as he gave her the news of his elevation to Baron of Corby and she smiled.

My Lord it is a worthy reward for your service and well earned. It would not do justice if you did not display the colors of your barony upon your coat of arms. I will commission a shield to be designed for you.

She almost giggles at his second request. My dear cousin, the family armory is filled with steel armor that is simply collecting dust. I'm sure the house maids would be more that happy to see some it be set to proper use, as would I.

Moments of silence dragged on, Caiti knew what was to come. She waited patiently while Seamus found the words. As he addressed her directly, she found herself straightening her back and her eyes meet his with great love and respect for her cousin. He spoke of the lady that stood at his side, the demure and gentle Ghostwriter. As he continued to speak of their relationship her eyebrow shot up for a moment. Knowing the lady her brow relaxed and she smiled.

When Seamus finished and took Ghost's hand in his, Cait turned to Baldar. She took a deep breath and let it out slowly. Caitilin drummed her fingers on the table, taking some time to consider her answer. She struggled to feet and face faced the Chieftain. Her chin raised and she met his eyes squarely.

Square Seamus, cousin, you honor me with your request. What you ask is very serious and I wish you to consider what you request. Let me ask you, do you love her?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 4:35 pm

A note of iron, of complete confidence, enters the young man's tone, as he utters a single word in response. Totally. Having spoken, he simply waits.
Back to top Go down
Caitilin*
Head of House
Head of House
Caitilin*

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeMon Mar 14, 2011 8:52 pm

Caitilin could not contain her joy. She reached out her arms and gathered Seamus and Ghost to her. Through tears she whispered Yes, yes, yes!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeWed Mar 16, 2011 7:13 pm

Ghost had looked at Seamus as Cait asked him her final question and waiting with baited breath for his reply, smiling at him as she heard his one word reply. The next thing they were pulled into a hug by Cait and all Ghost heard was the affirmation they had so wanted to hear. Ghost hugged Cait back, smiling through her own tears that threatened to fall, her eyes going to Seamus' face.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 2:03 am

Seamus takes a long calming breath, returns the hugs all round, and looks at his lady with a faint light in his eye. Weel, lass. Be ye ready tae become the Mistress o' me House? Or should we gie England a year orr thrree tae gie used tae th' idea?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitimeFri Mar 18, 2011 2:28 am

Ghost looks back at Seamus and laughs softly at his words, shaking her head at him.

I'm ready Seamus, she answered calmly, a slight edge to her voice. I dont think we need wait a year or three... England will just have to catch up, and laughing she hugged Seamus happily.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?   A Dram of Whiskey for Courage? I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

A Dram of Whiskey for Courage?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
Castle de StrYke :: Guest Area :: The Castle Kitchens-
Jump to: